Maclaine and the rest of the family survived the MTC last week. She sent us a letter that we got on Friday. It was her first assignment to write home to the family. We loved getting a letter from her.
She said she has a great companion whose parents are both from Chile, so she speaks great English and Spanish. She is from Toronto and Maclaine said, " so how long have you lived in Texas?"
Brian said you sure can tell the difference between an Elder's mission experience and a Sister's. Maclaine said that it was so nice because when her and her companion had gotten to their room, their roommates had made their beds and put a little treat on it.
We got our first p-day email this week. Maclaine had a little adventure in the oral surgeon's office due to a dry socket from her wisdom teeth that she got out a few weeks ago. Here are a few paragraphs about her dental experience and her first week in the MTC.
"But, as I was saying, it was pretty involved. I got a few shots and they took me into the surgery room and waited for everything to go numb while I was on the laughing gas. Then, they actuallly did a little mini-surgery it felt like. I won't tell you all of the details, maybe if Dad wants to here them I tell him. I know it would make mom queesy. It took about 20 minutes. They covered my eyes with a towel and everything. The whole time I was trying to recite the 1st vision, but the laughing gas was making it hard to focus so I couldn't get past the first line "vi una columna de luz mas brill......" then I would just keep doing it over and over again!"
"Will you guys pray for me that it doesn't and that I'll still be able to go to Puerto Rico? That would be awesome. I know that Heavenly Father wants the best for us and listens to our prayers. "
"The funny part of the story is that my face looks like a lopsided chipmunk! We went to Rite-Aid to pick up some medication after and I was really hoping that I wouldn't see anyone that I knew. (I didn't end up seeing anyone) But I had a mouth full of gauze and a make shift ice pack trying to communicate with the pharmacy then trying to still speak Spanish with my companion. I am totally smiling about it right now as I am thinking about it. My voice was really nasally for a while- it was like I was the guy from the 33 street joke!"
"Well, as for the rest of the week, its been really awesome. Already I feel like my testimony has grown so so much. It was more of an adjustment that I thought it would be but I think I'm used to everything now. It wasn't really the waking up at 6:30 was hard, it was just a lot to take in and do all at once. We are always busy, but we should be. This is totally the Lord's time and I am His servant and so happy to be His servant. THis whole week has just been a testament of how much God loves His children. He gave us prophets, He sent His Son, and He's given us prophets and His gospel again. Its so neat."
"I come away everyday just so excited to go and serve. My comp and district are great. There are eight of us. There are actually only two 19 year olds in the whole group. The others are just those who have waited a little while to go on a mission, but their stories are really neat. They all have sacrificed a lot to serve the Lord. One is a convert of just a year and sold his car, apt, everything to come on a mission!"
If anyone is reading this post this week, I hope you can join your thoughts and prayers with ours that Maclaine's gums will heal and that she will be able to go to PR as planned. Thanks!
2 comments:
Great post steph! I love that you posted part of her letter!
Sisters are definately different than the Elders. It looks like you've got more in your first letter than we get in a month.
Post a Comment