Thursday, July 3, 2008

A little less wise


Last week I got my bottom two wisdom teeth out. What the experience, eh? I'm telling you, it's the most interesting feeling to one second be preoccupied with the IV in your arm and the next to wake up as they are leading you into the recovery room with a mouth full of gauze. Actually, I think that was my favorite part - it was in a way kind of fun.

I wish I had a great story to tell about how I was way loopy after I woke up, but everything was pretty normal. I did think that just about everything I said was hilarious (this feeling of hilarity continued on the whole day) so I cracked some jokes and I did ask my mom if the doctors said I was "a champ" during surgery. But it didn't last too long. I realized that my mom, who promised my sisters to remember everything I said afterward, was taking notes of everything I was saying, and for some reason that put a stop to the joke telling.

The recovery went great, no dry sockets and I'm even almost Ibuprofen-free. I just have to hope and pray that I don't get an infection in the next few weeks (apparently they take a few weeks to get rid of and that could put a kink in the whole going-to-Puerto-Rico thing). I'm still using the syringe to clear out those little holes in the back of my mouth. At first I was fascinated by them, every time I cleaned them out I felt like a wounded soldier (I know, I'm weird). But, unfortunately they lost their mystique and now its just something I do twice a day. Anyway, that is pretty much my wisdom tooth story, not too interesting but do have to say that I am very grateful that it was a good experience with no complications and that I was able to get them out before I leave on my mission.

P.S. Yes, I did take a picture of myself after the surgery that I will not be posting and no, I did not take a picture of myself while I looked like Elmer Fudd.

4 comments:

beck said...

michael just got his wisdom teeth out too! he was pretty funny!

and that totally sounds like something your mom would do :) so funny!

love ya!

Jen said...

I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out. It was December 29th and by the time New Year's came around, I looked like a chipmunk. So awful.

Anonymous said...

haha! I was born without wisdom teeth!

Heather said...

oh i am glad you made it out alive!! I work at an office where wisdom teeth extrations are a daily experiance. You will be fine...after a week it is pretty hard to get infected so dont worry!! Good luck in P.R. You will be an amazing missionary