Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Spiritual Adventure"

We just received our first email from Maclaine. We are filled with love and gratitude as we see how Heavenly Father takes care of all the details and how beautifully everything comes together.

Instead of recapping, she says it all much better herself, so I will just forward parts of her letter.

On Saturday I was warmly welcomed to PR by my mission president's family (Sister Martinuea is so great. She, like all of the other older missionaries, LOVES to give hugs. Hugs are the best.) Then we went to church in another area to pick up my companion. She is so great! She is from Nicaragua and I am so happy to have her. She knows exactly what to say when I either have no clue what they just said or if I have no clue what to say. But, more than that she is a big strength and is always smiling. One of her goals is always to have fun too (don't worry in an obedient way), so that is good for me to kind of relax a little bit and not be so hard on myself.

Anyway, church was good. Oh yes, I drove to church to get practice because I am going to be the DESIGNATED DRIVER! I was panicking, but you just have to be defensive and its all right. Sunday nothing really special happened we just were at the mission home the whole day.

Yesterday we drove to our HUMONGOUS area! There are a lot of fields and we see cows and horses on the side of the rode sometimes. Every time I see one I think of mom and how she would love it. So, our area is really big! It used to be part of the Elders area but they have hardly covered it so a lot of the people haven't seen the missionaries before - really exciting! Driving down here was fun too. We went with a Senior couple - but it was great because every person I saw I thought, "we could teach them". Like one of my teachers in the MTC said, " When I went on my mission, I saw everyone in white". You just see everyone and the potential they have to have the greatness of the gospel in their lives. So driving around the area was really great.

We also met the bishop and his family. The ward is really really great. Everyone is SUPER anxious to help us and the work. We have a member scheduled to come with us everyday for two weeks! Not the whole day, but in the evening. Wow, that is unheard of. They were anxiously awaiting the arrival of the sisters. I am so grateful that I get to be here.

My mission has some really awesome goals for baptisms - one a week and a new investigator every day. (New Inv. is teaching someone and them accepting a second visit)My interview with President Martineau was really neat. He is great. I was getting so excited when he was telling me what he sees happening in our mission. He is all about the members and us working closely together. He says if we meet our goals, his goal is to have a temple announced before he leaves in two years! Wow, a temple would be so neat! Every time I remember those goals I get so excited.

Well, sorry this letter is SO long! But, just really quick. We are living in an apartment under our landlords "duenos". They are actually investigators with a baptismal date! We ate at their house yesterday (So yummy. Rice and beans with this weird looking thing that was delicious. Come to find out, its like a tamale but the paste is made with platano instead of corn). They have told us probably 1,000 times that if there is anything that we need, whatever it is, whatever hour to let them know and they kept using the phrase - confianza - which is like trust or to confide. We didn't have any food to really eat for today so Carmen made us some sandwiches to eat this morning for breakfast . Between them and the elders in our district I feel really taken care of.

Wow, sorry for the HUMOUNGOUS letter! There is so much that is going on but I love to tell! I love you guys so much and am so grateful to get your emails! Thank you so much for your prayers and your support. When I think about being away from the fam for 1 1/2 years its hard, but then I remember what I am here for. Heavenly Father has helped me to get here and I know I am here for a special reason. Its a spiritual adventure.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, great letter. It really sounded just like her, even the apoligizing for a long letter. (If we could be so lucky at our house.) She will do great!

Brad Neff said...

That is so cool that Maclaine is there. Sometimes the anticipation makes it so much better. We're praying for her safety and success.